Workshop: Yosemite, Summer Solstice, and the High Sierra
- Current Stock:
- June 21, 2017 2:00 PM - June 25, 2017 1:00 PM
What You Will Learn:
Join Vern and Margaret at their home in the High Sierra "Range of Light". The Sierra Nevada literally has been their backyard for 40 years!
During this workshop, we will access the breathtaking beauty of the Yosemite high-country via Tioga Road visiting places like Lyell Canyon, Tenaya Lake, Tuolumne and Dana Meadows. Other shooting locations will include selections from Vern's secret spots in Little Lakes Valley (Rock Creek Canyon), Mono Lake, Silver Lake, and Virginia Lakes. The days are long in June, and we will emphasize sunset shooting as well as up to two nights of the Milky Way, depending on conditions. Our dates coincide with the New Moon which is the perfect time to shoot the night sky. Concentration will be on shooting time, rather than a lot of effort spent hiking to far-away locations; however, you will be hiking at high altitude, and it is important to be in reasonable shape. Mobility to get to the right place at the right time is important.
All participants agree that one of the best features of Vern's workshops is his unmatched knowledge of shooting locations amassed over four decades of living and wandering in the Eastern Sierra and Yosemite. Not only does he have an intimate knowledge of unknown locations of breathtaking beauty, but he has acquired an uncanny ability to predict the most spectacular light and color almost down the minute on any given day. He instinctively knows how to get to the best spots in the most ideal light! In addition to all they learn, students often consider these workshops a "guiding service" to the best locations!
Vern and Margaret, High Sierra partners for almost 40 years, from mountaineering to parenting, hope to see you in June 2017.
Level: All levels of experience. Our small class size allows personalized instruction.
Max Students: 8
Focus: Classroom instruction, up to five shooting sessions in the field, critique sessions. Lightroom CC - learn the secret techniques that Vern uses to produce his own prints.
Effort: Some hiking - the longest being 2.5 miles at high elevation of 10,000 feet.
Location: Meet at Mammoth Lakes Gallery. Vern will select/guide 5 shooting locations from Rock Creek, Convict, McGee, Lee Vining, Lundy, and Bishop Creek Canyons.
Equipment: Entry level DSLR or equivalent is more than enough, sturdy tripod, variety of lenses (A complete equipment list will be sent out upon registration)
Included: Light breakfast daily; hearty lunch Fri/Sat; hot and cold beverages/snacks throughout.
Not Included: Lodging (The Westin, Best Western, Motel 6), transportation to and from Mammoth, alcoholic beverages, dinners, anything not specifically listed as included.
Questions: Call 760-934-5100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Workshop Requirements: Basic photography experience. Come ready to learn and have fun!!!
- Purchase of this course includes a syllabus containing course details and key concepts about digital photography. You will get the most out of this course by reading it prior to the workshop.
- When we meet on the first day we will check your gear, answer questions, and go over equipment basics.
- With cameras/tripods ready and questions answered, our first morning of Friday at a special selected near Mammoth. Then we gather for Vern's lecture exploring the key concept of his 40 year career embodied by the Antoine de Saint-Exupery quote, “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” Then we will move on to exploring the "Visionary Wilderness" of photography as espoused by Galen Rowell. We will teach you to use your "right brain" to manifest your "inner vision."
- After lunch we will regroup at the gallery to load your images in Lightroom CC. This will give us the opportunity to critique your work and find your experience level with Lightroom. Less experienced students will receive more guidance while more experienced students can move at their own pace.
- When the magic hours of photography again beckon, we will rely on Vern's intimate knowledge of the area to find the best places to capture afternoon images.
- The pattern repeats itself on Saturday with more photography and visits to Vern's most select and more Lightroom.
- Sunday morning we will visit breathtaking locations using our new skills to capture your treasured autumn photographs. If the weather is good, we will visit a "Piece de Résistance" location. All Lightroom CC work will supervised so that each student will leave the workshop with satisfying and memorable images.
Click on the pins to learn more about each location.