Workshop: Your Smartphone: A Window of Opportunity!
- Current Stock:
- September 30, 2017 - 9:00 AM to October 1, 2017 - 1:00 PM
What You Will Learn:
This is an exciting new development in our workshop program.
Even better, we are launching this workshop at an introductory price! Don't settle for less than your best images simply because the only thing you have is your phone. Using your smartphone (or point-and-shoot camera) learn the same techniques that are used to capture excellent DSLR photographs.
This course will introduce you to:
- seeing your subject properly to capture what you need for a great image
- taking the image your phone captured to the next level with image processing tools
- understanding the limitations of phone and point-and-shoot cameras in order to use that to your advantage!
- understanding the balance and interplay between capture and post-processing and how to make the right choice when faced with an opportunity!
Learning these concepts and techniques will make you a better photographer with any device! As a bonus, you will start creating great photos from your smartphone!
In this introductory class you will learn to make your phone capture its best possible image by following Vern's rules of "seeing rightly". With that as a starting point, you will learn to use great tools like Lightroom to take that image to the next level, a great photo! Sure, your smartphone is not a $10,000 DSLR, but it is likely to be there for the unexpected opportunity when your DSLR is not! This workshop takes a very practical approach to making great photos from the images you capture on your smartphone.
Don't miss out! Confidently seize any photo opportunity that might otherwise vanish forever.
Level: All levels of experience. Our small class size allows personalized instruction.
Max Students: 10
Focus: Classroom instruction, up to five shooting sessions in the field, critique sessions. Lightroom CC - learn the secret techniques that Vern uses to produce his own prints.
Effort: Some hiking - the longest being 2.5 miles at high elevation of 10,000 feet.
Location: Meet at Mammoth Lakes Gallery. Vern will select/guide 5 shooting locations from Rock Creek, Convict, McGee, Lee Vining, Lundy, and Bishop Creek Canyons.
Equipment: Entry level DSLR or equivalent is more than enough, sturdy tripod, variety of lenses (A complete equipment list will be sent out upon registration)
Included: Light breakfast daily; hearty lunch Fri/Sat; hot and cold beverages/snacks throughout.
Not Included: Lodging (The Westin, Best Western, Motel 6), transportation to and from Mammoth, alcoholic beverages, dinners, anything not specifically listed as included.
Questions: Call 760-934-5100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Workshop Requirements: Basic photography experience. Come ready to learn and have fun!!!
- Purchase of this course includes a syllabus containing course details and key concepts about digital photography. You will get the most out of this course by reading it prior to the workshop.
- When we meet on the first day we will check your gear, answer questions, and go over equipment basics.
- With cameras/tripods ready and questions answered, our first morning of Friday at a special selected near Mammoth. Then we gather for Vern's lecture exploring the key concept of his 40 year career embodied by the Antoine de Saint-Exupery quote, “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” Then we will move on to exploring the "Visionary Wilderness" of photography as espoused by Galen Rowell. We will teach you to use your "right brain" to manifest your "inner vision."
- After lunch we will regroup at the gallery to load your images in Lightroom CC. This will give us the opportunity to critique your work and find your experience level with Lightroom. Less experienced students will receive more guidance while more experienced students can move at their own pace.
- When the magic hours of photography again beckon, we will rely on Vern's intimate knowledge of the area to find the best places to capture afternoon images.
- The pattern repeats itself on Saturday with more photography and visits to Vern's most select and more Lightroom.
- Sunday morning we will visit breathtaking locations using our new skills to capture your treasured autumn photographs. If the weather is good, we will visit a "Piece de Résistance" location. All Lightroom CC work will supervised so that each student will leave the workshop with satisfying and memorable images.
Click on the pins to learn more about each location.